Isthmus Bureau of Shipping, also known as ClassIBS, is an International Ship Classification Society. The principal work of the Society's expert technical staff is to undertake surveys to ensure that the rules that apply to existing ships are followed, in order to ensure the safety of these vessels and the prevention of marine pollution. The rules cover hull structure, safety equipment, cargo handling gear, engine, machinery, and electrical and control systems.
- In 1995, Isthmus Bureau of Shipping (IBS) was founded with the purpose of contributing to the promotion of the well-established reputation of the Panamanian Registry
- In 1995, IBS commences operations immediately by obtaining authorization to conduct surveys and issue all statutory certificates on behalf of the Republic of Panama, as per IMO and national regulations.
- In 1996, IBS successfully implemented a Quality Management System, which was certified by SGS Group in accordance to the ISO 9002:1994 Standard. By doing so, it was one of the first ISO 9000-certified organizations in Panama, and the first within its field of work.
- In 1997, IBS obtains authorization by Belize (IMMARBE), another leading open registry.
- In 1999, IBS also achieves full authorization from the Government of the Republic of Honduras
- In 2000 is authorized by the Registry of Bolivia (RIBB),
- In 2002, IBS' Quality Management System was revised, becoming one of the first organizations to upgrade its system to the ISO 9001:2000 Standard.
- In 2008, IBS achieves authorization by the Maritime Authority of Jamaica.
- In 2009, IBS opened its first regional branch office in Dubai to promote all services and through a direct contact with ship owners from the region.
1- Statutory work is carried out in strict compliance with the IMO's international conventions and codes, as well as per national regulations of the Flag States, having authorized IBS. Mayor international conventions and codes directly relevant to the surveying and certification activities of IBS include the following:
- International Convention of Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL)
- International Convention of Load Lines (ICLL)
- International Convention of Tonnage Measurement of Ships (ITC 69)
- Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code)
- International Safety Management Code (ISM Code)
- International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code)
- International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and for Pollution Prevention.
2- Our classification services are designed to ensure that your vessel is maintained in accordance with applicable IBS Rules and recognized standards. Enabling you to manage your ship to its full potential, while minimizing risk to life, property and the environment. Many ships are designed and constructed to comply with other Rules and it is possible to transfer your vessel to IBS at any point during its lifetime.
3- Legal Services are offered through our in house law firm Marine Legal Services (MLS) for Panama, Honduras, Bolivia, Belize, and Jamaica flags. The services offered by MLS include among others:
- Provisional and Permanent Registration
- Special Registration
- Application for MSMC, ISSC, ITC, CSR, EXEMPTIONS.
- Offshore corporation
4- Isthmus Marine Documentation (IMD) offers services for conducting and coordinating Annual Safety Inspections as well as processing applications for all mandatory certification and endorsements under STCW (78/95).
5- Isthmus Trainning Institute (ITI) was founded to fulfill the training requirements of the STCW 1995 Convention. ITI is a recognized training center authorized to conduct STCW courses under the Panama Flag State Administration.